We leave in a week and only have a few more shifts left at
the hospital!
Friday started off with a bang with baby after baby and
since then I’ve had no babies on my past 2 shifts. It’s been slow but I’ve been
keeping busy with the theme this week of “my baby is still hungry and I don’t
have milk” Oh how these women would benefit from Lactation counselors in the
hospital. The midwives do all they can in trying to educate these moms about how the
breast is best but some of these new moms aren’t understanding the natural
process and would like to hand their baby over to be fed by us. I get it; I can
only imagine how exhausting and frustrating it can be to breastfeed especially in the first few
days postpartum when these little ones are working so hard to make the milk
come in. And I also understand that breast feeding doesn't work for everyone but it's at least worth a try, right?! Anyway I’ve done lots of
education with these Mommas this week about latch and positions and the process
of breastfeeding so hopefully they will be able to take these little nuggets
home with them.
I’m so grateful for
my time here . Being here I feel I was able to improve so many of my skills and grow personally and professionally. I now
feel competent in doing catheters, enemas, suturing, and giving IV’s. Yes, yes I know all very exciting!! I also was thrilled to learn how to rupture someone’s
membranes without using an amnihook (which will no doubt come in handy when I’m
stranded at a homebirth with a multip and a birth-bag that wasn’t properly restocked). I feel more skilled in how to do skills when and if all the luxurious accoutrements aren't available. The midwives also taught me how to open a
bottle without a bottle opener or a lighter, so I’m feeling especially skilled
after that. Being here has made me
appreciate the care that I’m able to provide back home and the stressors that
come with providing care in a hospital no matter what country you’re in. I’m grateful for the midwives showing me how
they do things and being open to how I’ve learned how to do things. It’s been an awesome experience!!
Caity and I will now spend our last few days here finishing
up our final school work and going on a land and sea tour with some mud bathing
and snorkeling along with some other day adventures so stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment