A few days ago I had the pleasure of being at a birth of a mom who thought she would never get pregnant. She tried for years and after 8 years of trying she gave up. Soon after she found out she was 2 months pregnant. It was beautiful to see the Joy on her face and her sweet husbands face when their son finally made his debut.
Last night was an interesting shift. I walked in to find out
there was an 18 year old mom who was at about 5 cm and not coping well. I did
some back rubbing and breathing with her but at the peak of a contraction she
screamed almost every time. I was starting to think she was more than 6 and
luckily so did the new nurse coming on the shift with me. So we checked her and
she was fully meaning shes complete or fully dialated. I know this term is used in Canada and I’m guessing the UK, I just love it for some reason.
The nurse and I set up and suddenly there were about 5
eager medical students in the room watching our every move.
Let me back up. So the midwives do the births and they have
nursing students and midwifery students. The doctors help with high risk
situations but don’t tend to be the ones to manage births unless there is a
complication that comes up or a need for a C-section. These medical students usually follow the
Doctors around but they are all new and EXTREMLEY eager to see birth and learn
about it in all its glory, which is great but something I’m so not use to.
Having 5 other bodies that just stand and stare as you do your job feels really
weird for me so I can only imagine how I would feel if I was the one pushing
this baby out.
Ok back to the birth. So this first time mom pushed for
about 15min and her sweet baby boy was out. (back home it’s typical for first time moms
to push an hour or maybe two) We put her baby on her chest and she started
glowing!! Next comes the hard part, the
placenta. Usually placentas come out within 15min after the baby is born and in
my world if the placenta isn’t out 30min after we get a little anxious. (If we
can’t get it out and she’s bleeding we go in for it, and if she’s not bleeding and we've tried everything we can to get it out
we go to the hospital) So her placenta
wasn’t coming and she wasn’t having any contractions to help it come. Basically
she went from 5cm to fully to baby really fast and her uterus was tired and
didn’t want to keep working. We gave her oxytocin in her IV bag, I made her do
nipple stimulation, the midwifes have patients breath into a brown paper bag to
get them to relax and they say this usually helps. I asked the midwife to rub her
stomach to make sure her uterus wasn’t filling up with blood and sure enough
gush after gush came and then it would stop. In St. Lucia if the placenta
doesn’t come after 30min they call the Dr. and find out how to manage the
situation. (Although they know how to manage they just need the okay from the
Dr.) It’s now 45min and she’s still
bleeding and in my head I’m thinking “OMG people just go in and get it out PLEASE”
But I of course just stayed calm and waited because I’m trying to be respectful
of different management styles and seeing how the retained placenta that
happened last week was in for 4 hours and came out without anyone going in
after it I was feeling hopeful. So I
rubbed (Mind you every time I rub her uterus she’s screaming at me and pushing
my hands away because as all you mothers who have had this done know, it does
NOT feel good) and I rubbed some more and gush gush, PLACENTA!!! Woohoo!!! I soon learned upon inspection that this was
not an ordinary placenta it had what’s called a succenturiate lobe (almost like
a mini placenta attached to the normal placenta) and a battledore cord
insertion (the cord inserted at the edge of the placenta). The lobe explained
why it was likely not coming. Phew glad that one was over. After controlling her bleeding and her blood
pressure finally going down I was happily able to snuggle her and her baby back
to their room for the night.
After they were all settled in we had a readmission of a mom
who I became close with last week. She was induced and labored for a few days
and eventually ended up with a C-section.
After that she stayed in the hospital to recover for about 5 more
days. Both Caity and I became close to
her and helped her with breastfeeding and postpartum support. I really enjoyed
her and was excited to learn she was going to be moving back to NJ where the
father of the baby lives in a month or two once she was strong enough.
She was back because she had a seizure at home that day and
when she came in I didn’t even recognize her. She was likely hit by the
silently and occasionally deadly eclampsia. I think pregnant moms know about pre-eclampsia happening prenatally because it’s talked about so much but it’s not talked
about as much postpartum.
At home I feel like I’m constantly reviewing the signs and
symptoms with moms who have elevated blood pressure. It goes like this “If you
have a really bad headache, vision changes, right upper quadrant pain or any
extreme swelling especially in your face please page the midwife”
When she was discharged her blood pressures were on
the high but normal side. And in 24
hours things changed fast. It was heartbreaking to see this typically smiling
chatty woman in this state, her baby crying to be fed and her unable to hold
her baby or even focus on your face.
I guess I shouldn’t end on a sad note. So here is a sweet
picture of the baby boy I caught. I held him for a bit last night to allow his
mom the opportunity to eat. He just kept staring at me and it's always so sweet to see new moms instantly fall in love!
No comments:
Post a Comment