Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Rainy season brings babies; Welcome to Victoria Hosptial

Caity and I hitched a ride from George to the hospital this morning in our nurses whites (not the most flattering attire) arriving early for our 8am start.
We had no idea really where we were going or what was in store for us. After being pointed in the right direction to the 2nd floor maternity ward we were warmly welcomed by the nurses to the floor. We received a tour of the floor and the hospital,and met UK medical students who looked as lost as us. We returned to the labor units where we had just missed one delivery and were invited to join another. As we waited for the first time mom to return to her room Caity and I read over her chart and tried to familiarize ourselves with our new surroundings. Suddenly we heard the laboring mom trying to make her way down the hall and back to her room. We walked in she looked at us, grabbed our hands and said “here comes another one help me” and before I knew it I was breathing with this Momma focusing deeply into my eyes as if I was the only one who could get her through. (This is an oh so familiar look) I suddenly felt right at home breathing, looking calmly into her eyes and assuring her this was normal and she was doing it just right. She wouldn’t let me leave her side for a second and squeezed tight with every “pain”. 15min of supporting this strong laboring Momma she looked at me after a contraction and said “I love you”. She melted my heart and I knew I wasn’t able to leave her side until her baby was safe in her arms. When she was checked she was 9cm but wanting to push, we rolled her to her side and the Midwife stepped out to assess another mom who just walked in. Moments later the Midwife reported a 3rd time mom was also 9cm next door and Caity ran out to support that laboring Mom while I stayed by this Mommas side. It was now just the two of us and she started pushing with all her might. The only thing she ever complained about was how cold she was but mostly between contractions she rested and asked for us to pull her baby out (also a very common question us midwives hear). 30min after starting to push her baby girl Kiona (Gods Gracious Gift) was born. As I walked baby Kiona over to the warmer where she lay with the two other baby girls that were born only 30min and an hour before her, I realized yet again how lucky I am to do this work. I woke up not knowing what was going to happen and left the hospital sweaty and sticky giggling with Caity that we made it through our first day doing what we know how to do best, support Moms as they welcome new little souls into this world. Only a 30min walk home passed some horses, dogs, roosters and goats, we jumped in a cold shower and devoured some fresh mango looking forward to what new lives we’ll welcome tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. yay for new little ones and congrats on your first wonderful day at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) this story totally made me teary - so beautiful! You are amazing! The mommas are amazing! ♥
    2) I actually think you look quite fetching in your whites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Erin you're so sweet to me <3

      Delete
    2. Also sorry for my bad Grammar and punctuation!!!

      Delete